Welcome Florida Cosmetologists
If you are a cosmetologist, you are licensed to practice cosmetology in Florida which includes the mechanical or chemical treatment of the head, face, and scalp for aesthetic rather than medical purposes. Some of these services may be hair shampooing, hair cutting, hair arranging, hair coloring, permanent waving, hair relaxing, hair removing, pedicuring, and manicuring.
If you are coming from out of state, click here to learn about Florida cosmetology endorsement license requirements
Cosmetologist License Renewal Information
All cosmetologists in the state of Florida are required to complete 16 hours of continuing education credits before the expiration of their renewal cycle as part of the Florida cosmetology renewal requirements. This education must contain the following instruction:
- A minimum of two hours of HIV/AIDS & other communicable diseases.
- A minimum of three hours of sanitation and sterilization.
- A minimum of one hour of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
- A minimum of one hour of issues of workers' compensation related to Florida law.
- A minimum of two hours of state and federal laws and rules related to cosmetologists, cosmetology, salons, specialists, specialty salons, and booth renters; specifically including but not limited to Chapter 477, F.S., and the Rules of the Board.
- A minimum of two hours of chemical makeup related to hair, skin and nails.
- A minimum of one hour of environmental issues.
- A minimum of four hours of Continuing Education which covers additional instruction in any of the courses approved by the State of Florida for the purpose of Continuing Education.
16-Hour Cosmetology Renewal Course OnlineRegister Now!
Initial Cosmetology License Course
4-Hour HIV/AIDS Course for Initial Cosmetology Licensure
Anyone wishing to acquire a Florida cosmetology license must take the 4-hour HIV/AIDS course for initial cosmetology licensure.
4-Hour HIV/AIDS Course OnlineRegister Now!